Ingredients:Roast in a little Oil:
- 2 Tbsp - Chana Dal
- 1 Tbsp - Toor Dal
- 2 Tbsp - Dhania seeds
- 1 tsp - Menthulu (Fenugreek)
- 8 nos - Red chillies
- 4 Tbsp - Coconut (grated)
- 1 pinch - Asafoetida
- Few Curry leaves
- 150 gms - Kakaraya/Bitter Gourd Boiled
- 2 cups - Toor dal boiled
- key lime sized ball of tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1-2 nos - Green Chillies
- 1 tsp - Coconut (grated)
- 3-4 nos - Curry leaves
- Roast the ingredients listed above and let them cool. Grind it to paste by adding sufficient water.
- Soak the tamarind in water and extract the pulp. Cut small pieces of the bitter gourd and and it to the tamarind extract along with some salt. Boil the above for around 3 mins.
- Add this paste to the boiling tamarind water and continue to boil for 5 mins.
- Mash the boiled dal and add 1 cup of water. Add this to the boiling tamarind water and continue boiling for 5 mins or till the dal blends well with the spices.
- The pitla is now ready, season it with mustard, green chillies and grated coconut (optional) and curry leaves. Serve hot with rice :-)