- 1 nos - Bottle Gourd
- 1 cup - Milk
- 1 Tbsp - Sugar
- 1 tsp - Black peppercorns
- 3 nos - Red Chillies
- 1 tsp - Rice
- 1 Tbsp - Urad Dal
- 1 small cup - Coconut
- 1 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp - Urad dal
- 1 sprig - Curry leaves
- 2 tsp - Oil
- Cube the bottle gourd and boil till they turn soft in a mocrowave or in a vessel with enough water.
- Roast all the masala ingredients in a little oil and set aside so they reach room temperature.
- Cool and grind to a paste by adding sufficient water.
- Now transfer the bottle gourd into a saucepan, add the paste, sugar, salt and water and allow to boil for about 5 mins.
- Reduce the heat and add one cup of milk and let the curry simmer for 3mins allowing all the spices to blend well.
- Transfer into a serving dish and season with mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
- The same cooking method can be used for Chayote squash(bangalore kathirikai/chow chow) and pumpkin.
- I made a slightly modified version of this kootu by adding ginger to the masala paste and adding some channa dal while boiling the bottle gaurd and skipped the milk too.