Mom's Special breakfast
My Mother's entry to Nandita's 'Weekend Breakfast Blogging'Here's a recipe from my mom. Its one of my favourite breakfasts. I havent eaten this dosa anywhere else except at home. These dosas look like a idli-dosa hybrid variety, fluffy like the idlis and nice and crisp like dosa's, it just cant get any better !! My mom generally serves it with tomato chutney or plain pickle and idli-karam podi + oil ( I like a pinch of sugar in the idli karam podi ;-) ) . Its a perfect breakfast or also good for a light dinner.
So here goes the recipe from Mom:
~ SPONGE DOSA ~Ingredients:
- 2 cups - Rice (preferably 1 cup - raw rice; 1 cup - parboiled rice/uppidi bhiyam)
- 1/2 cup - Poha (atukulu) or tapioca seeds (sabudana)
- Salt to taste
- Soak the rice in water for 2 hours and soak the atukulu or sabudhana in a little sour curd.
- Grind them together with salt and let the batter rest overnight to ferment just like dosa batter. You will see that the batter nearly doubles itself in volume by morning.
- Heat a pan, once its ready put a ladle full of the batter in the center, pour a little oil around the edges and cover the dosa with a lid. After a min check on the dosa, it would have fluffed up and ready to eat :-). The dosa should be cooked in low flame.
- Serve hot with chutney or sambar.
- The dosa should not be shaped/spread while pouring it on the pan. Just pour a laddle full on the pan and leave it to cook.
- A pan that has a slight dip in the center is perfect for making this dosa.
- Poha should be prefered over the use of tapioca seeds/ sabudana.
- 10 nos - Unripe tomatoes (greenish red colored ones)
- 1 Tbsp - Chana dal
- 1 Tbsp - Urad dal
- 1 Tbsp - Peanuts
- 5 nos - Dried red chillies
- 3 nos - Green chilies
- 1 Tbsp - Oil
- 1 pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Roast the dals and red chillies in a little oil till the dal turns a slight red in color and let them cool down.
- Slice tomatoes into quarters and saute them too in little oil till they cook a bit and then reserve till they reach room temperature.
- Grind all the ingredients with some salt. Fresh coriander leaves can also be added while grinding. Onions too can be fried & added along with tomatoes.