I made Rava ladoo's this weekend. My brother was coming over to visit me, and rava laddoos are one of his favorite sweets. So I took the brave step of trying to make them for him. They tasted good, but lacked my mom's touch :-( A few of the laddo's were a bit hard and had to be microwaved for a couple of seconds to regain their softeness.
Here is the recipe I followed, making these ladoo's is a lot easier than I thought it was, so do try them out.
- 2 cups - Rava/Sooji (Upma rava)
- 2 cups - Sugar ( adjust depending on how sweet u want them, starting from 1:3/4)
- 5-6 nos - Cardamom/Elaichi
- 1/4 cup - Raisins
- 1/4 cup - Cashews/Almonds
- 1 cup - Ghee
- Heat 1 Tbsp of ghee in a wide saucepan and roast the rava in it for a few minutes. When you start getting the pleasant aroma of the rava, switch off the heat and let the rava cool. The rava will have turned a slight orange, do not let it brown though.
- Once the rava is cooled, transfer it to a blender along with the sugar and cardamom seeds. Blend them for a few minutes so as to mix the sugar and rava well. But see to it that the rava does not become too fine.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee and roast the raisins and cashews/almonds and allow to cool.
- Now in a small kadai melt the rest of the ghee, you can reduce the heat to the minimum amount so that the ghee remains in its liquid form until u are done with the laddoos.
- Take the rava+sugar mixture in a wide vessel or plate. Separate small portions of the mixture and add required amount of ghee to form small ladoo's. Initially I was placing the dry fruits in each laddoo individually while making them. But towards the end I lost interest and added the dry fruits to the whole mixture !! hehe
- When I was making the first few ladoo's my mind dint let me use just ghee to make the ladoo's and so I was adding a few drops of milk (read it in a website) This did make the process easier but the laddoo's turned out to be hard and were mistaken for Golf balls !!! So dont heisitate to add the required amount of ghee :-)
- You can add coconut pieces roasted in a litlle ghee to the ladoo's too.
- Another variation here, using a combination of roasted urad dal flour and rava.