Time for a recipe today after all the coffee talk. I present to you another of my week night wonders ! I absolutely loved this combo and had it twice in two weeks. I cook almost every evening and since I pack my lunch from home, I have to make something that will work well for the box. I bought some nice cucumber and that got me into the mood for a salad and so this dish was born. Paired with some yummy looking whole wheat pita bread that I found at the store, it was a perfect portion.
- 1 cup - Corn, fresh or thawed, frozen corn
- 1/2 cup - Chickpeas (canned), drained and washed
- 1/2 cup - Red onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup - Cucumber, chopped (peel if necessary)
- 1/4 cup - Sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup - Roasted red peppers, chopped
- Salt, pepper & red pepper flakes for seasoning
- 1/2 tsp - Italian seasoning
- 1/2 Tbsp - Olive oil
- Cilantro for garnish
- If using frozen corn allow it to thaw at room temperature or use the microwave.
- In a bowl, toss all the ingredients together...and...well thats it ! I know I did not need bullets for this, but I had to make it look like a recipe :))
The whole thing was super filling and yummyy. I boxed up the salad and rolled up a pita bread in aluminum foil for lunch next day. I could fill the pita with as much salad as I wanted and the rest was delicious as is.
I repeated a similar salad but added a cup of cooked cous cous, since I ran out of cucumber and chickpeas. Even that tasted really good. The whole wheat pita has a nice nutty taste and is extremely filling too when paired with the salad. Take a look at a similar salad, called Fattoush, that I made for a Mediterranean themed dinner earlier this year. You can use any assortment of fresh vegetables that you have in hand and dress up the whole dish making it look like something really elegant but with '0' cooking involved. hmmmm, I must look for that Powerless event that was doing the rounds.