Here is a simple dal recipe, its another quickie for you to be armed with when you have no veggies on hand. My mother made this one day to go with chapathi's. Pair this with a chutney or a simple steamed veggie dish if you can and it turns into a proper meal spread.
Ingredients:This is a very basic recipe and delicious for the very same reason. The creaminess of the dal stands out and the simple tadka enhances the flavors with the lime juice perks up the whole dish.
- 3/4 cup - Moong dal/pesarapappu
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric
- 1/2 cup - chopped onions
- 1/2 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp - Cumins seeds
- 2 - Green chillies
- 1/2 tsp - red Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp - Dhania powder (optional)
- 1 Tbsp - lime juice
- 1 tsp - Oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and cook the moong dal along with the turmeric and 1 1/2 - 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker or on the stove top (use more water if needed).
- When the dal is nearly done, heat a pan with oil, splutter the mustard and cumin seeds, add the onions and green chillies.,suate until the onions soften and turn translucent.
- Add the red chilli powder ( and dhania powder) and saute for a couple more minutes before turning off the heat.
- Salt the dal and top it off with the tadka and lime juice (adjust to taste) and serve alongside soft, warm phulka's or rice.