I've told you guys how much I enjoyed hosting the IAVW event a couple of months back, so when Pallavi needed help finding guest hosts I had no doubts I wanted to be part of it. I was lucky to be first in line and its going to be snack time for the next TWO months here! yeah, two months of nom nom nom, munch, munch munch here since Pallavi hosted it as a bi-monthly event. Most of you are already familiar with the Sunday Snacks event that she's been hosting the last few months. The event was started by Hima of SnackORama before Pallavi took the reins from her.
Pallavi now has a much better task at hand though, she's getting ready to welcome two dear angels, identical twin girls in the next few months! How exciting is that! So while she's taking care of herself, I'll be taking care of your snack attacks :) So get ready to 'Spill the beans!' yes, all your little snacking habits need to be out this month.
Beans are a protein powerhouse without much fat, rich sources of vitamins and nutrients and very inexpensive. You can use them in a million different ways and with the huge variety that are available, including them in you diet isn't tough either. They are really filling and with a little prep work they can turn into exciting dishes. Only a few posts back I told you how I was incorporating beans in my diet and it would be great to get recipe ideas from you. I urge you to use this event to get the canned stuff out of your pantry and give the dried beans a fair chance, if you haven't already :-) the results will be so much more rewarding.
I don't think you need an elaborate introduction for beans, so lets jump to the event guidelines directly.
Beans encompass a really huge variety of cuisines and dishes. Just within the Indian subcontinent with a large vegetarian population, beans are an essential part of a daily meal and find their way in many many dishes. You could make a simple salad, sprout them, make a sundal, a tangy chaat, crispy crunchy vada's, mysore bajji's or falafels, hummus dips, mini-burgers, breads and even cakes! So pick one or two or more and send them over.Sunday Snacks-Spill the beans ~ Guidelines
- Cook up a snack/appetizer using beans - chickpeas, kidney beans, fava beans, black eyed peas, cannelloni beans, urad, moth, mung beans, lentils, cowpeas, pigeon peas, ...to list some. But there are plenty of other varieties out there.
- I request that all entries be vegetarian and use dried beans instead of canned if possible.
- Make a post of the same on your blog and link it up to this event announcement.
- Any number of entries are welcome, but I would really appreciate new entries for this event and not from the archives. (You could surely add links to other recipes on your blog in your entry post)
- Feel free to use the event logo on your blog/post to spread the word.
- Deadline is the last Sunday of July, i.e July 25th.
- Bloggers, send your entries to akshayapaatram at gmail dot com, using the subject line 'Spill the beans'
- Non-bloggers, go ahead, cook up a storm and send me the recipe along with the pictures to the above email. It would be nice to know a little about you :) I will post the recipes here with due credits before the round-up.
Also include in your emails
- Your name:
- Blog name:
- Name of the dish:
- Post permalink:
- Photo of the dish - no size restrictions.
Here are previous editions of the snacking series:
Sunday Snacks - Grab n Go
Sunday Snacks - Hot n Spicy
Sunday Snacks - Fix It
Sunday Snacks - Fry It
Sunday Snacks - Bake It