My pantry is bursting at its seams and I've lost count of stuff I've collected over the last few
|Wild Rice blend - Hulled Black Rice|
I always gravitate towards their healthy fried rice with tofu. It's predominantly flavored with ginger and is chock-full of vegetables. It wouldn't matter if it were not called healthy because it tasted exceptional anyway. I wanted to re-create it at home. I picked 3/4 cup wild rice blend and 1/4 cup black rice from my extensive pantry (!). I know, you would think it was the other way round looking at the color of the salad though. The black rice turned a deep purple when cooked and beware, it stains any other grain cooked with it. Using a rice blend added texture with some of the grains being fully cooked while the others are wonderfully toothsome. And ofcourse, the color is stunning.
Have you tried any new salads that you loved ?Thai Black Rice (blend) SaladPrep time: 15minsCook time: 30minsServings: 2-3Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup - Wild rice blend
- 1/4 cup - Hulled Black rice
- 1/2 tsp - Ginger, grated
- 1 inch - Lemongrass stalk
- 1 Tbsp - Tamari/ soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp - Toasted Sesame oil
- 2 cups - Water
- 1/2 cup - Diced Red bell pepper and white onions, Carrots & snap peas thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 1/2 tsp - Ginger, grated (adjust to taste)
- 1 Tbsp - Tamari/soy sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp - Shaoxing rice wine (optional)
- 1/2 tsp - Toasted Sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp - Olive oil
- Salad toppers - Chopped cilantro, Green onions sliced on a diagonal, toasted sesame seeds, lime wedges
Note: - Tofu would be a great protein addition to this salad. Drain and dry extra firm tofu on paper towels. Cut into thick slabs and marinate in a mixture of tamari, toasted sesame oil and grated ginger for 15-20 mins. Sear both sides on medium heat in a saute pan until browned. Dice into cubes and add to the salad at the very end so as not to break them up.
- Get the rice started first. Rinse grains in multiple changes of water, picking out any outliers. In a heavy bottomed pan, add drained rice with 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Once its at a boil season it with tamari, sesame oil, ginger and lemongrass. (Before adding lemongrass stalk, bruise it by giving it a few whacks with the blunt edge of a knife to release its essence.) Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 15-20mins on the lowest heat setting. Once all the water is absorbed and the grains are cooked, remove it from heat and let cool completely. ( I spread the rice on a plate and stick it into the freezer for a few minutes to quickly cool it down). Pick and discard lemongrass stalk.
- As the rice is cooking, heat a wok or saute pan on medium high heat with toasted sesame oil and olive oil. When the oil begins to sizzle add diced onions and peppers. Add grated ginger and cook until the onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add sliced carrots and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. Just before turning the heat off add tamari, shaoxing rice wine and sliced snow peas which will cook in the residual heat. The veggies should retain their crunch and bright color.
- When the rice is at room temperature add stir fried veggies and taste test for seasonings. Sprinkle a little bit of toppings on the salad making sure you have more of each on the side.
- Use any combination of veggies you have on hand that'll add crunch and color.- Swap rice with orzo pasta/quinoa/farro for a variation.